My daughter is completely crazy about pockets right now. My little lady needs a spot to keep the penny or two I often give her after paying at the grocery store, so I added a pocket to her latest mommy-made article of clothing. She now wants a pocket (or two) on everything. I might have created a monster. [a really cute, adorable, spunky monster, that is]
Lucky for us, patch pockets are as easy as they are adorable, and even a novice seamstress can pull off one with relative ease!
1. First, cut two pocket shapes–one out of pocket fabric and the other out of liner fabric–about half and inch all the way around bigger than you want your finished pocket to be. [I've cut four here because I was making two pockets, so I have two of the brown gingham liner fabric and two of the green polka dot pocket fabric... Really, a plain fabric works just fine for the pocket liners, but I love a little added surprise...]
2. Next, fold under the top of each piece, both the liner and the pocket, about half an inch. [I simply scored these folds with my nail, but an iron also helps them lay flat, if you are so inclined.]
3. Place right sides together and sew around the curved edge.
[You should end up with something like this.]
4. Trim off the excess fabric, preferably with pinking sheers, if you have them, to avoid fraying and to help your pocket lay flat.
5. Turn your pocket right-side-out.
[This is a peek inside. So basically, you have a free-standing "pocket" with an unfinished opening.]
6. Sew along the top of the pocket to close the opening.
7. Finally, sewing around the very edge of the curve, attach your pocket to your garment fabric.
And that’s it! SEW SIMPLE!
A pocket is a great way to add style AND function to a piece of clothing. And I love the little peek-a-boo of a contrasting fabric!
You could leave as-is or add a little button just to the pocket front to add even more personality. I added ric-rac to that last pocket, the one on the tunic, so I’ll have to show you how easy that is to do, too, if that’s your druthers!
So, who’s going to add a little pocket to something now? Sissy will be so pleased! Wheeeeee!
You might also like…