When we were putting our boys’ rooms together, their curtains were very easy. For each room, I just bought a pair of navy panels and a pair of white panels, layered them and hung them (later, I lengthened them and changed the tab tops to belt loop tops–you can read all about that here). They darken the rooms perfectly for nap times and before-the-sun-sets summer bedtimes.
But when it came to our daughter, there wasn’t such a simple solution. Her Pottery Barn Kids pale pink curtains let in a lot of light, even with the blinds behind them closed. They are gorgeous curtains, but we knew they would not be functional as they were.
So I headed to our local fabric store looking for a deal. i knew I would need several yards of fabric to line these curtains, and that the liner fabric would have to be heavy/opaque without being dark. I checked the discount tables and bins and found this pale mauve faux suede that fit the bill. And just under $4/yard in the last chance clearance bin, I knew I had a winner!
The curtains are already lined (in a typical white lightweight liner), so I chose not to take them apart, add the liner, then resew them. The lined curtains were the perfect “pillowcase” into which to slip my lining.
So I measured (and remeasured and triple measured) and then cut the liner fabric to fit perfectly in between the curtain front panel and liner. I didn’t bother hemming the edges but just cut them with pinking shears to avoid fraying. I laid the curtains and liner out on the floor and worked the liner into the “pillowcase” until it was all lined up.
Then I secured the lining by running a fancy stitch across the top of the panel. [I wanted more strength than just a straight stitch, so I chose this one for its width as well as its look. You could also run a simple double stitch along the top.]
And since the liner color is white on one side and pale mauve on the other, it does not distort the color of the curtains. [Um, yes… the chair still needs a slipcover… file another thing under “some day”!]
No telling how expensive a custom pair of black out panels like this might cost, but as usual, i went the thrifty route! These panels came from a Pottery Barn outlet, too! I ended up purchasing a third panel which I cut in half and lined to make door window coverings for Sissy’s french doors. Go check out her whole on-a-shoestring nursery (here or click link below), wheeeeee!
Pingback: DIYer’s Home Tour: Little Girl’s Bedroom | CampClem·